Home | Trails | Events | Forum | Sponsors | Contact

Unauthorized trail work

Moderator: BOD

Unauthorized trail work

Postby Cash » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:51 pm

As of now, everyone is well aware of the unauthorized trail work at Oak Cliff Nature Preserve. As a mt biker living in N. Texas, I have ridden most of our trails and there are things I love and dislike about them all. We have more trail options than any other major city in the country, this means we all have a lot of options on where we can ride. There are trails I don't care for at all, so I don't ride them. I would never take it upon myself to go in an alter it on my own. Keep in mind, Dorba does not own these properties. We have been given stewardship rights through agreements with the landowners. They can kick us off their land at any time.

As the ex trail steward for Boulder Park, I would often reach out to others for there opinions on features/design. I wanted to make sure I saw it through others eyes as well. Whatever we agreed on is usually what we did. My point in this is for the trail users to reach out to the trail stewards about your reasonable request and/or concerns and talk it out.

Every trail has an email listed on their trails page on Dorba.org and these emails are sent directly to the trail stewards. If after a reasonable amount of time (we all have day jobs) your email is not responded to email me at [email protected] and we can set up a meeting to go over your issues.

While we can't make everyone happy, we can follow a process to which we can make educated decisions.
Cash
DORBA
Advocacy Director
Cash
Member
Member
 
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:47 am

Re: Unauthorized trail work

Postby Johnny » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:31 pm

I don't care what anyone says, you're a man of the people, Cash.
Party,
Johnny

BIG PIG RACING
Facebook!
User avatar
Johnny
 
Posts: 682
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:56 am
Location: Your mom

Re: Unauthorized trail work

Postby zen bicycle » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:31 am

I vote Cash for President of Trails!
zen bicycle
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:05 pm

Re: Unauthorized trail work

Postby portlandia » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:12 pm

I just started riding. I saw a few small branches full of thorns laying across the trail and one got me a flat (at least it got me to learn how to switch a tube on my own :) ). Since I'm a complete newbie, my question is: Are thorns a desired obstacle or can one remove them from the way?
portlandia
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:04 pm

Re: Unauthorized trail work

Postby FranGator » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:42 am

Thorns are not a desired Trail Feature. You can remove them anytime.
I'm not an addict - I just like to ride a lot!
FranGator
Member
Member
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:19 am
Location: Flower Mound, TX

Re: Unauthorized trail work

Postby portlandia » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:20 am

FranGator wrote:Thorns are not a desired Trail Feature. You can remove them anytime.


Good! I wasn't sure and my husband went ahead and removed them that day. I'll let him know he was right....this one time.
portlandia
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:04 pm

Re: Unauthorized trail work

Postby sunpunkmtb » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:35 am

The banditry we deal with at SC is most likely done by riders who are NOT dorba users. I have a flyer posted at our kiosk (includes email address) but that only potentially helps if bandits see it, read it, or even care what it says. Curious as to how other stewards handle unauthorized work done by non-dorba users?
User avatar
sunpunkmtb
Member
Member
 
Posts: 298
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:23 am

Re: Unauthorized trail work

Postby Steven Baumgartner » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:53 am

Report to the Land Owner and report to the Police if onsite.
L.B. Houston -Trail Steward

"Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don't interfere as long as the policy you've decided upon is being carried out."
User avatar
Steven Baumgartner
Member
Member
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:51 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Unauthorized trail work

Postby sunpunkmtb » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:08 am

Steven Baumgartner wrote:Report to the Land Owner and report to the Police if onsite.

Thanks Steve. If we ever caught them in action, I figured police. They've been working right after rain when the trail is closed. I made sure the land owner knows what's going on.
User avatar
sunpunkmtb
Member
Member
 
Posts: 298
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:23 am

Re: Unauthorized trail work

Postby masaruta4at » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:18 pm

don't allow the finesse of editing I would require to make a lot of the files display properly.
genting princess casino
masaruta4at
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:55 am

Re: Unauthorized trail work

Postby Recycle » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:58 am

Not sure if this is the best thread to ask this, please correct me if not.
I am new to the area and have been taking care of my home trails for some time. Which basically meant draining and trimming.

For example when I came across a fallen tree blocking the trail(1) I cut it with a retractable saw.
Would such a thing be possible here?

(1)=As in less than 4 inches thick and dismount needed
Recycle
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:32 am

Re: Unauthorized trail work

Postby Hiway » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:28 pm

Some person(s) taking down bypasses at Horseshoe. Stop it. Don't ruin our access to this trail.
Hiway
Member
Member
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:42 pm

Re: Unauthorized trail work

Postby Cope » Mon May 02, 2016 9:27 pm

Recycle wrote:Not sure if this is the best thread to ask this, please correct me if not.
I am new to the area and have been taking care of my home trails for some time. Which basically meant draining and trimming.

For example when I came across a fallen tree blocking the trail(1) I cut it with a retractable saw.
Would such a thing be possible here?

(1)=As in less than 4 inches thick and dismount needed
Contact trail steward, you'll find their email on trails page of web site. Generally you can do trimming, but the trail steward needs to be contacted first. He then can let you know the best way to report to him when and where work was done. This also helps work crews work efficiently on what was done to reduce wasted time. But generally you can do trimming on your own. No trail alterations, cutting trees, roots etc.
Vic Dean
Northshore Trail Steward
Cope
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:53 pm

Re: Unauthorized trail work

Postby JD Pedals » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:37 pm

Just came across someone removing all of the "technical" roots on Horseshoe. The nice root-mass at the bottom of the rocky climb? Gone. :( That "one root" at a 45 degree angle that tries to grab your front tire? Gone. :( The ledgy roots on the climb-out from the brick-lined rivulet? Gone too. :o

Thanks for the SIDEWALK experience. :x

And...those roots were NOT dead. :roll:
JD Pedals
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm

Re: Unauthorized trail work

Postby Cope » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:44 pm

JD Pedals wrote:Just came across someone removing all of the "technical" roots on Horseshoe. The nice root-mass at the bottom of the rocky climb? Gone. :( That "one root" at a 45 degree angle that tries to grab your front tire? Gone. :( The ledgy roots on the climb-out from the brick-lined rivulet? Gone too. :o

Thanks for the SIDEWALK experience. :x

And...those roots were NOT dead. :roll:
Did you say anything to them? Did you get a name, take a pic of them?
Vic Dean
Northshore Trail Steward
Cope
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:53 pm

Re: Unauthorized trail work

Postby toonnee » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:45 pm

I vote Cash!
เกมส์พนันออนไลน์ v777bet คาสิโน บาคาร่า แทงบอล ปลอดภัยที่สุด เปิดบัญชีฝากถอนไม่จำกัด พร้อมโปรโมชั่นพิเศษ ทางเข้าตรงนี้ แทงบอล
toonnee
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:33 am

Re: Unauthorized trail work

Postby JD Pedals » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:23 pm

Cope wrote:
JD Pedals wrote:Just came across someone removing all of the "technical" roots on Horseshoe. The nice root-mass at the bottom of the rocky climb? Gone. :( That "one root" at a 45 degree angle that tries to grab your front tire? Gone. :( The ledgy roots on the climb-out from the brick-lined rivulet? Gone too. :o

Thanks for the SIDEWALK experience. :x

And...those roots were NOT dead. :roll:
Did you say anything to them? Did you get a name, take a pic of them?


I stopped and ask if he was the trail steward, his reply was "sort of". I asked why he was removing the roots, and told him it was ruining the trail. He said it wasn't ruining the trail, and the roots were dead. I suggested he get a road bike if he wanted to ride on a sidewalk. I then asked him again if he was a trail steward, and he said "yes". At which point I figure he was a lying sack of excrement. Since I felt myself getting pretty angry and about to loose my cool...and he was the one holding the axe...I just pedaled off.

Wish I had thought to get his picture...but I got really upset. He was on a red/white GT is all I remember.
JD Pedals
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm

Re: Unauthorized trail work

Postby Cope » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:12 am

JD Pedals wrote:
Cope wrote:
JD Pedals wrote:Just came across someone removing all of the "technical" roots on Horseshoe. The nice root-mass at the bottom of the rocky climb? Gone. :( That "one root" at a 45 degree angle that tries to grab your front tire? Gone. :( The ledgy roots on the climb-out from the brick-lined rivulet? Gone too. :o

Thanks for the SIDEWALK experience. :x

And...those roots were NOT dead. :roll:
Did you say anything to them? Did you get a name, take a pic of them?


I stopped and ask if he was the trail steward, his reply was "sort of". I asked why he was removing the roots, and told him it was ruining the trail. He said it wasn't ruining the trail, and the roots were dead. I suggested he get a road bike if he wanted to ride on a sidewalk. I then asked him again if he was a trail steward, and he said "yes". At which point I figure he was a lying sack of excrement. Since I felt myself getting pretty angry and about to loose my cool...and he was the one holding the axe...I just pedaled off.

Wish I had thought to get his picture...but I got really upset. He was on a red/white GT is all I remember.
Yeah, no reason to get upset. Always get a name, you can't assume he's lying if you don't know who the trail steward is and only body language and the way they react can only lead to suspicion. I've removed dead roots before, some were sticking up causing a pedal catch hazard. And sometimes it's ok to remove them when dead, because they can start to break apart, splinter and possibly cause a hazard.

You can always email the trail steward and inquire and/or report issue. But it's good to get name of person and pic for better evidence. I don't mind if someone doesn't believe me, I gladly tell them my nam. Each trail has an email that goes to steward, some reply back quickly I assume. I do almost all the time. The email list is under here under Trails.
Vic Dean
Northshore Trail Steward
Cope
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:53 pm

Re: Unauthorized trail work

Postby grungle » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:51 pm

JD Pedals and I have discussed this over email, he contacted me right after this happened. And, it was unauthorized work indeed, against the law in fact and was reported to the City of Grapevine. I will always be wearing a City shirt when working Horseshoe, and my assistants will gladly discuss what they are doing and why, including proper introductions of name etc. Thank you for keeping eyes out on all our trails, workdays are always posted for each for those that want to support.
Travis, Horseshoe Trail Steward
User avatar
grungle
Member
Member
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:47 pm
Location: Flower Mound

Re: Unauthorized trail work

Postby JD Pedals » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:06 pm

I just wish I had kept my cool and gotten a picture. I guess I was upset...and now that I think about it: flabbergasted.

Next time I'll just calmly take a picture. Hopefully there's not a next time.

Travis - the offer stands next time trail work needs done. Got tools...will travel. I'll keep my eye out for the next time you have work days posted.
JD Pedals
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm

Re: Unauthorized trail work

Postby KD5NRH » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:17 am

JD Pedals wrote:Thanks for the SIDEWALK experience.


Just swap out 3-4 spokes per wheel with some that are ~5mm shorter and that should rough things up for you again.

Of course, with the difficulty of getting proper maintenance/design on MUPs, some of the offroad trails may be up to MUTCD standards through guerilla "upgrades" before city-owned MUPs. :roll:
KD5NRH
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:27 pm

Re: Unauthorized trail work

Postby JD Pedals » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:55 pm

KD5NRH wrote:
JD Pedals wrote:Thanks for the SIDEWALK experience.


Just swap out 3-4 spokes per wheel with some that are ~5mm shorter and that should rough things up for you again.

Of course, with the difficulty of getting proper maintenance/design on MUPs, some of the offroad trails may be up to MUTCD standards through guerilla "upgrades" before city-owned MUPs. :roll:


Did you just mention the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices on a mountain bike thread? Whoa! I quit civil engineering in 1999...that was a blast from the past. Next you're going to be quoting the AASHTO Green Book!
JD Pedals
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm

Re: Unauthorized trail work

Postby Cleared2land » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:43 pm

JD Pedals wrote:
Cope wrote:
JD Pedals wrote:Just came across someone removing all of the "technical" roots on Horseshoe. The nice root-mass at the bottom of the rocky climb? Gone. :( That "one root" at a 45 degree angle that tries to grab your front tire? Gone. :( The ledgy roots on the climb-out from the brick-lined rivulet? Gone too. :o

Thanks for the SIDEWALK experience. :x

And...those roots were NOT dead. :roll:
Did you say anything to them? Did you get a name, take a pic of them?


I stopped and ask if he was the trail steward, his reply was "sort of". I asked why he was removing the roots, and told him it was ruining the trail. He said it wasn't ruining the trail, and the roots were dead. I suggested he get a road bike if he wanted to ride on a sidewalk. I then asked him again if he was a trail steward, and he said "yes". At which point I figure he was a lying sack of excrement. Since I felt myself getting pretty angry and about to loose my cool...and he was the one holding the axe...I just pedaled off.

Wish I had thought to get his picture...but I got really upset. He was on a red/white GT is all I remember.
i

I'm blown away by what has been done to this wonderfully technical climb. Upon seeing it, It was worse than I expected. The perpetrator even smoothed over the dirt to make it even smoother. Some of the larger rocks at the top of climb just as you turn left and begin the decent have been removed too. A real loser that prolly couldn't make the climb and had to dumb it down to their level.

This was one of the few decent technical features of Horseshoe remaining and I'm really disappointed to see it's been destroyed.
Weather Forecasts can broken down into 2 categories:
Good biking weather and Bad biking weather.
User avatar
Cleared2land
Member
Member
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm
Location: In front of this computer

Re: Unauthorized trail work

Postby qwerty2002 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:13 pm

Asking for advice About this site Unauthorized trail work














1scasino
qwerty2002
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:31 am


Return to Trails: trail work, ideas,issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest